market-farming - Re: dogs and CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: dogs and CSA
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:05:43 EST

In a message dated 11/13/02 7:26:59 AM Central Standard Time, guldann AT ix.netcom.com writes:

a good value moneywise and health wise

As I understand CSA 's you collect money from customers ahead of delivery.  What happens when you have a year like we did this year.  No rain, 5 hail storms with no rain in them just heat a hail, the wells go dry, the pond didn't recover for the year before because of the drought the year before.  We run around a total of 30 acres figuring in sweet corn, we do not have enough water to water it all, even the town around us has nothing to spare, we did buy a lot of water until we got shut off.

Question is do you pay all these people back their money because you the grower can only supply only about 20% of the produce to your customers?  We would not have been able to hardly supply 10 shares at a constant level, what the drought didn't get the grasshoppers did.  O we still have grasshoppers around here and it has been below freezing for three weeks now.

We started growing in 1982 and this has been the worst growing year we have ever experienced in all those years, and the field crops were not very good this year either.  We are still around 30 inches of rain short for the year and over ther last three years almost 60 inches below normal, this is creating major problems for people growing anything outside of a greenhouse,which has been nonstop for the last three years.  I really don't have the gut's to ask someone to pay for produce ahead of being able to produce that product, don't any of you ever get people that demand their money back?

Phil