market-farming - Re: Finding a farm dog. . .

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Finding a farm dog. . .
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:12:11 -0500

I thought our border collie would make a great pet too. Until he started
herding cats, cars, bicycles, garden carts, tractors, people, etc, complete
with nips that punctured steel radials & skin. Thankfully, neighbors were
dog people, so they didn't get ugly (did have to 'fess up the $300 for tires
though).

This dog was a working dog without a job. Unless you have a lot of deer to
herd on a daily basis, a non-herding "watch" dog might be best--one that
will
bark and chase things off, but not be adamant about going after every little
thing that moves. There are plenty of dogs out there who don't have that
herding instinct, but the herding ones I've worked with are the most
difficult to bridge the gap between work, play & family. They are always
"on". (I know there are exceptions, but when a dog costs $1000, he's bred
work, and you can't train that out of them--in fact it would be cruel to.)
Note--this is about "herding" dogs....they're a special breed, and special
precaution should be taken when considering them for anything other than
herding!!

If you want a dog to do a job, don't get soft-hearted and go after a
"rescue". While on the surface, it may look and feel good, if you're
responsible for the general public & their kids, and you require the dog to
do a job, go for pedigree, training, and quality--which doesn't have to be
expensive either. Some breeders will donate to worthy causes, and of course
there are registered breed rescues, easily found with a search engine. That
being said, we have both purebreds & mutts, so don't think I'm
hard-hearted. I've learned if I want an animal (dog or horse) to work, the
I best get educated about which ones do the job I want them for.

As for Marlin's castration suggestion, it will work, but only on young
animals. Older ones will suffer!

jmho,

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm