market-farming - Re: Finding a Farm Dog

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marienne Kreitlow <marienne AT marienne.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Finding a Farm Dog
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:09:42 -0600

Our last three "generations" have been mutts - some lab and shepherd - and
have been excellent for what we want them to do, as well as becoming "family
members". I would caution about "herding dogs" and children, as they may
want to herd the kids. I've seen a situation recently where a border collie
had no livestock to herd, so it wrangled the kids, cats and neighbor's dogs,
all of which came to greatly dislike it. The owners tried to give it to us,
but I felt certain it's genetic behaviour patterns would cause quite a
conflict with the other domestic beings here.

Another thought about larger dogs is that often when they are young, they
don't know their own size. Ours have actually knocked us adults over in
their excitement, and this rambunctiousness went on for the first two years.
Now they are very gentle around visiting kids, but we had to be careful when
they were younger. Something to consider for your residents.

I know this has been more about what to avoid than what to look for, and this
next bit of info may not help either: our last two (the current ones) just
showed up here. I notice you're a church based operation - in all
seriousness, perhaps God will send you just the dog you need, especially if
you ask.

Yours,
Jerry Ford
Hei-Low Farm

  • Re: Finding a Farm Dog, Marienne Kreitlow, 11/12/2002