market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:53:54 -0500

> The
> consumers don't need a pile of certificates to convince them that you are
> growing healthy food.
I'll throw something in here really quick - I joined the Wholesome Food
Association this summer because: one, they are already in existence; two,
their stated principles are exactly why we grow organically; and three, I
felt that being based in England might add an extra layer of security for
our customers since most people know of the problems in their food system.

They printed up and laminated a poster that I put in our booth and from
their literature I can put together a good handout this winter that explains
why we chose to join.

We will continue at this time to certify also because our market is
certified organic and we want to be a part of it. At some point in time I
can foresee our market possibly switching or allowing other than just
certified growers in, so I chose to do both to begin getting out the
Wholesome Food idea.

Its $50 to join - it can be done on their website: www.wholesomefood.org

The effort required to get a new market up and running by spring certainly
won't allow me to participate in a new name for what we do - and I totally
agree that we need to do that. I don't know how long I can stay certified
with all the requirements and paperwork.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas