market-farming - Re: CORRECTING THE RECORD Re: Part 2 RE: Double Dipping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: CORRECTING THE RECORD Re: Part 2 RE: Double Dipping
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 06:56:02 -0400

> I think it's time for someone to question the list administrator about all
> the flaming. >What possible contribution can it be to the purpose of this
> list?

The responses to the posters about the flaming have been private, unless you
want this list clogged with posts that have nothing to do with market
farming.

A list member who did respond, became quite worried that the list would get
thrown into the same turmoil as a couple of years ago, when it was indeed
shut down on a whim. Maybe it was a little premature for that strong a
reaction, but it was to nip a firestorm in the ignition stage. And unless
you were subscribed back then, you won't know about it, and I'd prefer to
let the matter drop and go on with our discussions (preferrably about market
farming, and not the political issues).

>What motive can anyone have for this, or for constantly harassing
> other contributors by twisting their words, ridiculing small operators,
and
> so forth?

I have no idea why one is so inclined to jump on every little thing that is
said here. I agree with your assessment at twisting words. But I try very
hard not to censor posts as we're all adults, and we can agree to disagree,
and move on. Obviously, that's not getting through. I'll try harder.

The best way to deal with disagreeable posters is to ignore their postings.
It's hard I know, but it works.

>I've run very large volume lists successfully myself (400 and
> 650+), but only because flaming was banned and they're kept on topic and
> civilized in tone. It takes active intervention.

Alot of the "intervention" on this list is done without your knowledge.
Once again, because it doesn't belong on this list.

But here again, you have to remember, especially on this list, are true
grassroots farmers who are passionate about what they do & how they live.
So getting out of hand when attacked, is "normal" for us. I don't think
anyone's been rude about it though. And everyone has the option of using
the delete key.

> This list fills a serious need and I know of no other quite like it. It
would be a shame to see it go down because of corporate propaganda and
disruption.

I promise you one thing. It will not go down. But so far, I've not read
corporate propaganda. The frequent poster to whom I think you're referring
sounds to me like someone who doesn't quite understand--but is trying. He's
raised some valid issues. And yes, gotten under my skin. But what's
another cockleburr ; )) (I've pulled thousands this fall all ready,
preparing a plot for spring). His comments have reminded me why I farm, why
I choose to farm the way I do, and that there are people out there who
still don't get it, and probably never will. Fodder for when I'm on the
tractor.

Just wait til December when everyone's chomping at the bit to get back into
the dirt, and we're all stuck in snowstorms. Then the real fun begins ; ))

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC