market-farming - Selling Beef through the CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pete and Judi" <corbettj AT computer-products.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Selling Beef through the CSA
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:02:35 -0400

Allan:

I can't help you figure out selling or anything, but I would suggest that
you talk to your butcher. I consult with mine before I actually sell my pork
each year on price per pound. I sell mine by the side.

But If I were you I would discuss this with him as well. For the first
couple of years I panicked come the end of the season. 'What if I can't get
these guys all sold!' Well last year I had one side left and he took it. I
thanked him so much, but than he also paid me a higher price than everyone
else was getting. Wow! Than he pointed out that he wished he could pay me
more as my pork is so far supierior to anything else he can buy and he would
love to get it if I would be willing to take what he pays me. Well frankly,
in the end he pays me more than my customers do and with less hassle!!! Ask
you butcher, he to may be interested in any of your meat????

Judi Corbett
http://gtigaan.tripod.com - Rabbits, Vermiculture, Herbs, and more
http://drcba.tripod.com/drcba.html - Canadian rabbit and cavy club