market-farming - RE: Selling Beef through the CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Selling Beef through the CSA
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:58:02 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Williams <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 8:11 PM
Subject: [market-farming] RE: Selling Beef through the CSA

> Allan Balliett wrote:

Dear Allan,

We are marketing a couple animals a year. Here in VA, if one legally sells
beef by the cut, he is required to have the processor label and price each
cut. Our processor does not have a fee for killing, but he charges 36 cents
@ pound of hanging weight and 61 cents @ pound when it is labeled and
weighed. I figure that that costs us $1.00 @ pound of our ready to sell
meat. To get around this, we offer our CSA members a variety package of
approximately 10 pounds at $3.00 @ pound.

Mrs. Marlin Burkholder