market-farming - RE: Selling Beef through the CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Selling Beef through the CSA
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 21:47:30 -0500

Allan,

If you have the meat processed into common retail cuts, you will see about
36% of the live weight in the package. Approximately 1/3 of this will be
ground beef. If beef is individually packaged for retail, it must have the
weight stamped on the label at the processor. If you are not using an
inspected processor, you must arrange for sale on the hoof to stay within
the law.

Another tip, it takes about 1 cubic foot of freezer space to hold 30 pounds
of frozen beef.

There is more information on our website at http://www.americanpasturage.com
and on the Grazier's Forum at http://bbs.americanpasturage.com/phpbb/

Regards,

Rick Hopkins
President
American Pasturage, Inc.
P.O. Box 190
Marionville, MO 65705
(417) 258-2394
http://www.americanpasturage.com/
For other information concerning grass fed beef see http://www.eatwild.com
and http://www.westonaprice.org
For the American Homestead Foods Certification Program go to
http://www.homesteadfoods.com
Also check out the new Graziers Forum at: http://bbs.americanpasturage.com

All E-mails are scanned with Norton Anti Virus 2002 prior to sending.