market-farming - RE: Selling Beef through the CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Selling Beef through the CSA
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:11:00 -0500

Allan Balliett wrote:

> I raise a couple of black angus on the back burner each season as we
> do the CSA. We usually sell these by the quarter, but this year we
> wanted to offer them by the cut to the CSA. We are essentially
> offering steaks and burger.
>
> I'm about going crazy figuring out how to predict the yield from the
> beef (still on the hoof) and what a steak will weigh when it actually
> arrives (for example: are butchers willing to put the weight on each
> package of meat?)

It is not easy to predict yield. You can approximate it with figuring 60% of
live weight as close to the hanging weight.

Then 60% or perhaps a bit more of the hanging weight will give you the
finished weight. But that varies a lot too depending upon whether the bones
are removed for various cuts, whether you include the liver in the numbers,
how much was the trim fat, etc.

> If you've done this before, or if you have insights, I'd appreciate
> hearing about it at igg AT igg.com or here on the list.

There are are number of variables, but if you are going to sell by the cut,
you need to know what cuts will be made and then how much to charge per
pound. Chances are only certain cuts will be made by the processor, such as
rib steak, T bone, Porterhouse, sirloin and then you have to decide if you
want round or whether you want it cubed.

What about doing packages such as we do. Our details on pricing etc. are on
our web site. We do not openly promote individual cuts for sale but we will
do it if they want them. The charge is a bit higher then.

If your processor is willing to weigh and stamp each package, that might be
more convenient for you.
But because electronic digital scales are so reasonably priced these days we
have one to measure each package minus the tare weight. It has many features
and we use it for selling produce at the farmers market as well when we need
to measure something by the pound. Our scale can handle up to 30 lbs. and is
a Mettler-Toledo.

You will likely need a special license if you don't have already for selling
off the farm. Although each state probably has different rules.

> I guess I'm also concerned about taking deposits. That's easy for a
> quarter, but it seems pretty strange 'by the package.' However, I
> just had a customer back out on some beef and it's put the fear in
> me: I absolutely have to move the packaged beef from the butcher to
> the customer. I don't have a freezer to hold the stuff in while I
> look for another buyer.

For packages I would just sell off the farm. We too have had the unpleasant
experience of people backing out on large quantities. We have never taken
any advance down payment but that is a very good idea really. Luckily, none
have done it too late to change the marking on the package if they were
getting a hanging weight product. They will need to stamp each of the
packages with the name of the party getting a half or split half, etc.

With individual cuts, we have certain package quantities. Usually steaks are
two to a package except sirloin being larger is only one to a package.
Roasts are one to a package. And ground beef is in 1 1/2 lb tubes the
processor uses.

You will also likely have to have a label for each package you sell off the
farm that has the farm name and number to contact, and the standard meat
handling instructions. We make these ourselves with the laser printer.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers