market-farming - Selling Beef through the CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Selling Beef through the CSA
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:52:34 -0400

I raise a couple of black angus on the back burner each season as we do the CSA. We usually sell these by the quarter, but this year we wanted to offer them by the cut to the CSA. We are essentially offering steaks and burger.

I'm about going crazy figuring out how to predict the yield from the beef (still on the hoof) and what a steak will weigh when it actually arrives (for example: are butchers willing to put the weight on each package of meat?)

If you've done this before, or if you have insights, I'd appreciate hearing about it at igg AT igg.com or here on the list.

I guess I'm also concerned about taking deposits. That's easy for a quarter, but it seems pretty strange 'by the package.' However, I just had a customer back out on some beef and it's put the fear in me: I absolutely have to move the packaged beef from the butcher to the customer. I don't have a freezer to hold the stuff in while I look for another buyer.

Thanks

-Allan