market-farming - Bt Sweet Corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Bt Sweet Corn
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:15:48 -0500

Since the producers of GMO seeds seem to like to sue people who aren't
growing their seed but end up with GMO's in their fields due to pollen
drift, I wish that growers would pull together on this issue. Frankly, I
think that there is a lawsuit waiting to happen farmer to farmer. If a GMO
grower contaminates my organic corn then, in my mind, that amounts to
destroying my crop. You might as well have aerially sprayed my field with
pesticides.

This is a sad situation in which the only people who will benefit in the
short and long run are the companies that produce the GMO seed and the
pesticides (which they also produce). They could care less about farmers.

Every time I hear about how Bt corn reduces pesticide application I shake my
head. As if we hadn't heard of RoundUp ready soybeans and canola. For
crying out loud.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL