market-farming - Treating Ear Worms without spraying

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Treating Ear Worms without spraying
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:07:09 -0500

About a week after the silks appear, I have applied about a half an eye
dropper full of mineral oil on the silks. This advice came from 2 sources,
a Rodale publication and a 1996 publication called "Complete Guide to Pest
Control - With and Without Chemicals" by George W. Ware (University of
Arizona) ISBN#: 0-913702-61-7.
I have also dusted the husks with BTK (bacillus thurengiensis var. kurstaki)
when there were warnings about problem infestations. In general, though, I
just don't have problems with corn earworms.

I'm trying to get away from using Bt however. There is so much BT corn
being grown around me, I wouldn't be surprised if Bt starts becoming
significantly less effective. Because of the amount of Bt corn grown in my
area and the range for which corn pollen drifts - it's miles not feet - I
also hand pollinate my silks.

About 3 years ago I listened to an agricultural speaker who said that
organic sweet corn had to have earworms for customers to be convinced that
it was organic. I don't see this in my own experience.

My worst pest problem in corn is Japanese Beetles. We have had horrendous
infestations in my area for the past two years (or more). They just devour
the silks.
Any ideas on that? You should see what kind of damage they do to basil.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL

  • Treating Ear Worms without spraying, Del Williams, 04/23/2001