market-farming - Re: Sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sweet corn
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:28:42 -0400

I saw one market with a sign that said "ALL CORN HAS WORMS!" saving the
customers time from stripping corn, I maintain a strict three day spray
schedule according to my IPM advisor and always have worm free corn and I
don't have a problem with stripped corn, my customers know my corn is sprayed
and expect the corn to be worm free, its not easy to maintain a good spray
schedule in wet years and hopefully we will have some good Bt varieties in
the future so we won't have to spray, I also quit corn around Sept 5th,
because by that date we start getting huge migrations of corn ear and army
worms from the southeastern states especially if we get coastal storms and
worm control becomes impossible...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/