market-farming - Re: Info on huckleberries?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Info on huckleberries?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:01:42 -0400

This has been my experience- small, but sweet and VERY flavorful. We have
huckleberry plants all over our farm now. The seeds must be from some
cultivar
or those with sour berries must have some soil deficiency.

Try planting some in their natural habitat- as an understory plant, or on the
edge of woods. These areas have the proper soil ecosystem for them to thrive
(fungally dominated and N available as ammonium). In a field or meadow, the
soil ecosystem is bacterially dominated and the N is mostly nitrates.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm