market-farming - Re: Info on huckleberries?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin L Burkholder <gleneco1 AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Info on huckleberries?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:09:58 -0400

Joan,

I tried a few garden huckleberry plants a few years ago and decided they
were real losers. They were a PITA to pick and didn't taste good unless
you used a lot of sugar. The fruit was really eye catching in 1 pint
berry tills but I had to tell everyone who bought them that they needed
to be cooked and heavily sugared in order to be fit to eat. No one came
back asking for more. My wife put some in pies but I was never that
impressed.

> I got the garden huckleberry seeds from Seed Savers and without
> thinking I
> started all of them - so I have about 80 huckleberry plants that I
> understand can take up about a 3' diameter space. If anyone has
> experience
> with these I'd really like to hear about them - not sure what to do.

They do in fact get big with branches running out a foot and a half from
the main stem parallel to the ground and loaded with small marble sized
fruit. They are in the nightshade family and look a lot like eggplants.

> thought of potting them up and trying to sell them at market as a
> native
> plant. Ideas???

It would be ok to sell a few this way to curiosity seekers. Keep a few
yourself and play around with them this summer but don't feel too bad
about pitching most of them.

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley of VA