market-farming - Re: Info on huckleberries?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Info on huckleberries?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:12:40 -0500

Regards to the list:

Hey Joan!

I'll buy some of the plants from you! I don't know much about them, but they sound good.

My sweet potato that is setting in the Corning dish of water is finally getting little red buds. The root system is huge!

We went to Indiana last weekend and got the transplanter! Thanks to the Chapman/Dales who are lurkers on this list. Hubby already has straightened some of the parts and planning to put boat seats on it for comfort for these feeble old bones. It was such a treat to meet someone from the list and to see their beautiful place and gardens. Deryl, I won the bid on the book "Cold Mountain" on eBay! Looking forward to reading that from your recommendation! We regretted not going sooner when gas was cheaper! Our old truck shot craps just before the trip and our eldest son loaned us his truck for the trip. It's rather nice to go to the kids for help instead of vice versa.

One lone gosling has hatched out. He joins 30 baby chicks and one duckling that I got from a friend. He has his work cut out for him - weeding 9000 strawberry plants. Hope some more of his brothers and sisters hatch to help him.

We're covering the blackberry plants because we're experiencing freezing temperatures at night. Now I'm grateful that the ground was too wet to plant tomatoes and peppers or any other kinds of plants. I wonder if you placed piles of fire wood around the gardens and lit them at night, if the heat from the embers would keep the plants from freezing?

I attended the Master Gardeners meeting tonight. The speaker was an environmental activist. I agreed with everything he said. He got them all primed for the program next month - me, speaking about organic gardening. He put the fear into them tonight. I'll soften the blow with things one can do to clean up their act. This was perfect timing.

Add to my list of things I'll NEVER do again: leave the leaves I've collected in town in the trash bags all winter. Yuck Yuck Yuck! I've about emptied all of them and it's a nasty, nasty job. Now I know why it's called green manure. It SMELLS like manure, it LOOKS like manure, it may as well BE manure! The leaves smell so nice when you first get them. I now take an oath and vow to never let them set all winter again as the market-farming list is my witness. Water had leaked into the bags. Come to think of it, the bags that we used for insulation for the chicken house weren't nasty and they hadn't gotten wet. There were millions of earthworms under the bags, by the way.

For those of you who remember my frantic search last year for Jug Onions: We stopped in St. Louis to visit brother-in-law and family. They had the jug onions! My mother had given his grandmother a start and she passed them along to them! Got another start! I promised to send those to someone on the list when I got enough sets, but I don't remember now who it was.

Phil and Joan, have you recovered from the losses from hail and wind? And now, the cold? arrrggghh!

Marie in Missouri