market-farming - RE: Info on huckleberries?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Info on huckleberries?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:04:42 -0500

I've been following this thread, and wonder whether we are all talking about
the same plant. What Alex is describing sounds like a bramble. I know we
have a bramble in the southeast - kin to blackberries, raspberries,
dewberries - that we call a huckleberry. It is not the same as the plant
described in the first post which sounds like a nightshade. The bramble
would indeed be an understory plant, suited to the edge of woods, etc. The
nightshade would probably need to be handled more like tomatoes, eggplant,
peppers. What do ya'll think ? Maybe I'm just not following this morning
!!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm