market-farming - Re: No-till method research?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bev and Chuck Henkel" <bchenkel AT conpoint.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: No-till method research?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:44:52 -0600

I layed out a fifth of an acre last fall, as an experiment, that literally
is no till but not in the common usage of the term. I put 8" windrows of
compost between which and covering part of the base of the triangular
compost I deeply mulched. I set the row interval so that small square bale
"flakes" of "hay" (made by baling the young weeds the cows left after a
grazing) appropriately covered the interrow width. I'm hoping the dark
"raised" compost will warm up early enough in spite of the surrounding
mulch. I'm hoping the weeds will be so few in both the exposed compost and
the mulch that hand pulling will be feasible. If it works at all we'll have
to see which vegetables like it.

Chuck Henkel