market-farming - Re: No-till method research?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: No-till method research?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:00:26 -0600

> I can imagine that
> using Roundup with no-till is better than using Roundup and tilling.
I have to jump in here - I would have said the same thing, Jill, but last
weekend at our annual ocia chapter meeting someone was explaining that
because in no till the herbicide is sprayed and stays on the surface instead
of being plowed in it can also be airborne more easily and will have a
higher tendency for drift. Drift is a huge problem here because we have so
much wind during the seasons when pesticides would be applied and you don't
know it until it is happening. We've been sprayed twice and now the share
cropper to the west is taking out the hedge row along that property so there
will be a REALLY good flow of contaminated air passing through. Luckily its
across the road and a really good stand of very invasive sumac has taken
over that edge of our property. I noticed yesterday its encroached another
three feet - normally I'd be quite irritated but it just might save us at
some point.

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas