market-farming - Re: No-till method research?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: No-till method research?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:09:36 -0500

Pennsylvania--Va--50 lashes with a wet noodle  (be it far from me to make a southener outten a yank!)

>I really can't even imagine why this herbacide toting guy keeps
>coming up in our conversations, though-Allan

From Acres, USA, Feb 1999 "He (Steve) calculated, for example, that last year he spent $10 less per acre on agri-chemicals than neighboring farmers. He compared his current average of $14 per acre in chemical costs to other local farmers' per acre expense of $20 to $30 in agronomic crops."

I would much rather have Steve's farm next to me than a conventional one.  It's all about balance.  We have to start somewhere in teaching sustainable farming--Steve's done just that with methods that are also applicable to smaller scale market farmers (even if we don't agree with everything he teaches), something we can all learn from, whether we're organic, sustainable, conventional, biodynamic, etc.  I learned from him not to plow in my cover crops--just mow.  Greatly reduced Colorado Potato Beetle damage in my tomatoes.

Now to figure out how to make mulch from granite ; ))

Liz