market-farming - Re: staking tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: staking tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 06:13:50 -0600

I have had the best results by using wire cages. The plants are less likely
to develop disease because they aren't being handled all the time for tieing
and staking.

I anchor mine in two ways:

Drive 5' tall stakes (pine works...rebar is better) just inside the cage in
3 places. Two would do if you want to attach the stakes to the cage.

I have also buried the cage up to the first square.

The only thing that seems to come close is the weaving technique but hated
having to keep up with that. Once the tomatoes are in and the cages are on,
there is really very little more that needs to be done besides the
occasional pruning and removal of suckers.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL