market-farming - Re: staking tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: staking tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:25:12 -0800

Someone had mentioned the use of black plastic and tomatoes. Last year the farm we took over had this system set up and ready to go, so we thought great - staking was even in place. We hardened off the tomatoes planted in the plastic area and in the field. A few days after we planted temperatures soared to near 40 C - in May! The plants in the field survived - all of them. The plants with plastic turf cover cooked - all of them. I do believe turf cover has its place but unfortunately we have not had a great deal of success with it yet. Jacqueline