market-farming - Re: NPR/food irradiation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Bennett" <dbennett AT micoks.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NPR/food irradiation
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 8:27:00 -0500

You, uh, wouldn't be related to Wenonah Hauter, Director, Public Citizen's
Critical Mass Energy Project, would you?

Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com> wrote:
__________
>As usual, Dave, I don't think you know what you are talking about.

>For more information why don't you look at Public Citzen's web site.
>Particularly Critical Mass Energy Project. From there I can give you other
>places to look.

One of the links on citizen.org, www.irradiation.com/food.htm has a good Q&A
area. Here is a sample from this page.

Q. Does food irradiation make food radioactive?

A. Not when it is done correctly.

If you are honestly interested in studying this, I would suggest you take a
look at vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-fdb33.html. The chart at the bottom shows
what foods are approved for irradiation (some since 1963) & the radiation
doses allowed. (a Gy is a "Gray", a measure of radioactive dosages. If you
want to understand what this means, & the different kinds of radiation, you
can look here. www.utexas.edu/courses/bio301c/Topics/Radiation/Text.html. The
Gray chart is about 2/3rds through the document.)

Dave