market-farming - Re: NPR/food irradiation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "five springs farm" <fsfarm AT mufn.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NPR/food irradiation
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:48:22 -0400

We heard the piece and wondered about a couple of things. It referred to a
new way of irradiating using no nuclear material or exposure to accomplish
this, by using some sort of electron beaming device. The hope, of course, is
that this technology will be trusted more. On the face of it, that process
seems much more benign (from a technological and environmental standpoint).
But since it is still called irradiation, we must wonder just what is going
on. If it is indeed a different technology it would seem prudent on the part
of that industry to come up with a more benign term, too. Anybody really
know what is going on with this?

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf