market-farming - Re: NPR/food irradiation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NPR/food irradiation
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:20:27 -0400

Dave,

I don't understand your point. If you don't like Ralph Nader and Public
Citizen, go to the irradiating facilities documents. They are irradiating
food. This is what they do. Depending on the type of food being irradiated
the facility generates a level of ionizing irradiation that is the
equivalent of between 10,000 and 70,000 chest x-rays. Is it the comparison
of chest x-rays that you don't like? Well, sorry about that.

As far as the food sometime becoming radioactive, if you look at the test
documents on this process there have been cases of inability to control the
irradiation that have left the material being irradiated radioactive. OOPS.

Again, the basic point is a criticism is of the sanitary practices of the
corporate meat industry. I know this is a sore point with you, but the
truth is, profits do not make clean, wholesome food. I want my hamburger
and chicken without puss, feces and urine, no matter whether the bacteria
have been killed by irradiation or not. The solution is a clean,
wholesome food system. Not profit maximizing technical fixes.

Stop the privatization of meat inspection..
Animals should be raised in a wholesome humane environment.
Sick and diseased animals should not be processed as food.