market-farming - Re: organic corn (fwd)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "delannw" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: organic corn (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 09:16:47 -0500

Facinating discussion here on organic sweet corn. I was told by an
extension agent two years ago, that organic sweet corn had to have worms.
That, he claimed, was the 'test' or expectation for organically grown corn.
If there weren't any worms, he said, then it being organic was questioned.

I was dumbfounded. Told him I didn't have worm problems in my organic
sweet corn. He didn't believe me.

Of course, that was the consistent message during the master gardener
training sessions. The extension educators for fruits and vegetables gave
us lots of disgusting examples of produce that was "organically grown" and
urged us not to do it. That seems to have been toned down a bit in the last
year.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL