market-farming - Re: Salad mix legislation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "five springs farm" <fsfarm AT mufn.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Salad mix legislation
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:39:32 -0400

> Ready-to-eat is the key phrase here. If you sell it as ready to eat, then
> you can be held liable for your customer eating it unwashed. Just label
> everything/tell your customers--WASH!! Have this in your printed
materials
> and you can not be held liable.

At a CSA conference workshop this was the advice of a lawyer-turned-farmer,
too. ALWAYS recommend washing produce, no matter how carefully you wash
before sale or pickup. In our CSA operation we leave the veggies gritty
enough that people will definitely rinse before use, but we recognize that
many farms (and markets) have customers that prefer something cleaner...

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf