market-farming - Re: soil tests

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: soil tests
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:51:29 -0500

Rose,

You're lucky! I asked my extension agent about soil tests and all they offer
(in TN) is
NPK and pH. I showed him a copy of my Timberleaf results and he said they
could run all
those tests but it would cost over $150 for just the results! (Compared to
$55 for
results and recommendations from Timberleaf.) He said he didn't know whether
they could
do recommendations for anything but NPK.

Also, I had someone in NC show me her results from NC extension and asked me
what they
meant and for recommendations. In NC they use their own units, not lbs./acre
or
parts/million. So, I told her all she could do is get recs from them or get
them to
convert her results to ppa or ppm.

Sounds like Cornell offers great service to growers in NY. You're very lucky-
it's not
the same all over. I wish we had a vibrant, progressive extension here.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm
Walden Ridge, TN