market-farming - Re: soil tests

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: soil tests
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:20:37 -0500

Marie,

I use Timberleaf Soil Testing, 26489 Ynez Rd., Suite C-197, Temecula, CA
92591, Ph/Fax
909-677-7501.

Their Basic Test includes: Org. matter%, Estimated N release, Available &
Reserve P, k,
Mg, Ca, H, pH & buffer pH, Cation exchange capacity, soluble salts & Na, & %
base
saturation rate for Cations (P, Mg & Ca).

Trace mineral test includes sulfate S, P, K, Mg, Ca, Na, Fe, Al, Mn, B, Cu,
Zn &N. Basic
& Trace tests are $55.

They also offer plant tissue analysis and specific tests like heavy metals.
They can give
you recommendations by the acre for row crops and pasture or by 100 sq. ft.
for beds.

What's great about them is you get a detailed report that tells you where
your soil is,
where it needs to be and how much of what to add to get there. The results
contain many
pages explaining each result and what it means- in plain language. They will
also give
you a list of how much N material (soybean meal, alfalfa meal, etc.) to add
for each crop
you are growing. But wait, there's more! They will also give you 1 year of
free
consulting with each test (at least he's offered this in past years).

They don't recommend anything that is on any US certifying agency's
prohibited list. I
had the use of borax questioned by my certifying agent, but just because it
was on the
Restricted List. He didn't know why until I explained that it's toxic to
plants at low
concentrations and that I was only using a few ounces of 10% boron per 100
sq. ft.

Bob Russo is the owner and a very nice man. They don't sell any product, so
there's no
conflict of interest. Tell him I sent you. You can call and talk things over
with him.
They'll mail you a free info packet that contains instructions on sampling
and a rate
sheet.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm
Walden Ridge, TN

P.S. I don't get anything for recommending him- except maybe a Christmas card.