market-farming - Re: Re:soil tests

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re:soil tests
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:35:52 -0500

Michaele,
I often see this as more of a problem in organic soils and Organic Growers,
since many use solely compost or manure. The train of thought is that
compost is good (which it is), so, lets keep piling it on. If this is done
without regard to the other nutrients (Phosphorus and Potash), then, you
have one main element in the soil that is throwing the soil SYSTEM out of
balance. In the number of samples that I have tested (and I have been doing
this since God was a little boy), it does not seem to matter what soil type
it is. I have seen very high organic matter levels in sandy soils with
deficient Phosphorus and low Potash levels. There could be some leaching of
nutrients, but, normally, especially Phosphorus, does not leach and becomes
deficient through crop removal and being tied up in the soil.

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting

pegcook AT northnet.org