market-farming - Re: Market niches

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Market niches
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 16:50:45

> Salads!!! This is my specialty, though I do not sell to restaurants. I
> kept anywhere from 10-19 types of lettuce on my tables at all times. I
> charged $8.00 a bag-mix or match, or
> $4.00/lb.

Liz,
How do you display your salad greens to keep them from wilting in the
Carolihna heat? How do you work the mechanics of mix-n-match? Do you have
tongs?
I sell my mesclun to restaurants in 5# bags for $30. To friends and
neigbors in 8 oz ziplock bags for $4.00 and they are happy to get it. I
think you should be able to get more for yours. Salad mix in our
supermarkets goes for $5.99.