market-farming - Re: Bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bees
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:01:07 -0500

I don't have bees, but what I do is plant borage throughout the garden
to attract pollinators. I plant 6-10 plants per 100ft row of
tomatoes, cukes , squash, etc, spacing them along the row. The bees
are attracted to the borage first, then wander over to the tomatoes,
etc. I harvest a few of the flowers to add to my salad mixes with
edible flowers--they really do taste like cucumbers. I've always done
this so don't have records for the differences in harvest, taste, etc
if I did not do this. I discovered this technique at a horticultural
workshop on historical gardening in the late 1700's-a technique that
still works today.

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC