market-farming - Re: food bank donations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: cappy AT harborside.com
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: food bank donations
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:58:58 -0800

Quoting Elizabeth Pike <pike AT always-online.com>:

> Sue, my area does not have a food bank. What I do,
is take my unsold
> produce & flowers to a low-income apartment complex
for the elderly. This
> began quite by accident when one market day when I
just couldn't bring
> myself to throw this gorgeous, alive, nourishing food
into my compost. I
> swung into the parking lot, opened my trunk & began
taking my coolers to
> the club room. Residents wandered over to see what
was going on. Oh how I

> wish I'd had a video camera/tape recorder of that
day. Before my very
> eyes, these precious people returned to their youth,
to former gardens &
> farms. They became quite animated with stories & I
ended up staying for 3

> hours!! They can't help me harvest, and some can't
even eat what I bring.

> But it has been such a great experience, that if I
ever stop market
> farming, I will continue to share my garden with them.
>
> I went back a couple of weeks ago, just to check up
on everyone, & several
> people gathered around to express concern over city
plans to clean-up
> (read, DESTROY) a small section of wetlands between
their apartments & the
> river. They took me over & showed me where the
rabbit lived. Pointed out
> the squirrels, the possum, the old bird nests. The
turtles, the ducks, and

> a snake! Then they showed me their compost pile!!!
They had taken their
> leftovers & started a compost--for me. I cried.
What goes around, comes
> around, and we'll never know when it will encompass
us.

> Have a great day everyone!!
>
> Liz
> Morningstar Gardens
> Pollocksville NC
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as:
cappy AT harborside.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')
>
> What a beautiful story Liz. I can just see you there.
What a thoughtful gift from you....your food and the
gift of your time and friendship.

Any update on the wetlands destruction. Here in
Oregon, that's against the law. (well, it's supposed
to be, unless some hotshot works through the system).

Cappy on the Oregon coast

www.bumpercropmarketing.com