market-farming - Re: food bank donations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: food bank donations
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 9:46:49

Sue, my area does not have a food bank. What I do, is take my unsold
produce & flowers to a low-income apartment complex for the elderly. This
began quite by accident when one market day when I just couldn't bring
myself to throw this gorgeous, alive, nourishing food into my compost. I
swung into the parking lot, opened my trunk & began taking my coolers to
the club room. Residents wandered over to see what was going on. Oh how I
wish I'd had a video camera/tape recorder of that day. Before my very
eyes, these precious people returned to their youth, to former gardens &
farms. They became quite animated with stories & I ended up staying for 3
hours!! They can't help me harvest, and some can't even eat what I bring.
But it has been such a great experience, that if I ever stop market
farming, I will continue to share my garden with them.

I went back a couple of weeks ago, just to check up on everyone, & several
people gathered around to express concern over city plans to clean-up
(read, DESTROY) a small section of wetlands between their apartments & the
river. They took me over & showed me where the rabbit lived. Pointed out
the squirrels, the possum, the old bird nests. The turtles, the ducks, and
a snake! Then they showed me their compost pile!!! They had taken their
leftovers & started a compost--for me. I cried. What goes around, comes
around, and we'll never know when it will encompass us.

Have a great day everyone!!

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC