market-farming - marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: CAVM AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: marketing
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:05:18 EST

My sister-in-law grows sweet corn on the large commercial farm she has with
her husband. The sweet corn is a very small percentage of the total acreage
and we live in a rural area of Western Kentucky. Normally you would expect
that the farmers' market would not be very exciting since every few houses on
nearly every country road has something for sale in season.

To overcome this my sister-in-law harvests her sweet corn and sells it at the
elderly housing complexes. These fine folks don't get out like they used to
but a great many of them are from farm backgrounds or at least were gardeners
once. They snap up all of her sweet corn at prices that they find reasonable
and she finds rewarding.

Regards,

Cornelius A. Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc.