market-farming - Re: Mulch prices(was irrigation and mulch)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mulch prices(was irrigation and mulch)
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:00:07 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:46:46 -0500, market farming wrote:

> >We pay around $1.00 to $1.50 for cert. organic wheat or oat straw. We
pay
> >50¢ for conventional wheat straw (used for composting and winter
insulation
> >around the house)
> >>

> Jeez, what quantity do you have to buy to get those prices? How early do
> you have to order?
>
> Very curious!!
>
> -Allan

> The convetional stuff is from a farmer down the road who rents the field
adjacent to our market garden and he doesn't run cattle anymore so he is
slowly selling it to us, no minimum. The organic straw we get from our
chicken feed supplier. We have to get a minimum of 10 bales at a time and no
advanced notice. I have told this guy he could get $4 to $5 around here for
certified straw if took the stuff into the city and sold it to an upscale
garden center. So perhaps this is what he is doing and is giving us a break
on price. His price on chicken feed makes up for cheap straw, 20¢lb if we
get a min of 1000lbs but that is another topic.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH
Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/boulderbeltcsa