market-farming - Re: Marketing concerns

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Marketing concerns
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:39:50 -0500

From: Shelley Pasco >and the local government has been made aware that there
is a need, a desire, and a reason to keep local farming alive.<

I can't fault the politicians-until they learn better, & I feel my mission
over the next few years will be to teach them. I'm considering cutting back
on my farming this year, & taking a more active roll in the market
management (though I refuse to be market manager), & to build a market that
I can enter that's worthy of my produce. The facility is there, nice
location, just needs reinvigorating. All the traditional marketing ploys
are done-sandwich signs (too small), banners over main streets around
town-too small to read until you're right up under them (I know-I bumped
into a car in front of me last year craning my neck just trying to see how
close one had to get to read them-no damage, missed market day & had salsa
in my trunk), activities outside of normal operating hours, etc, etc.

So, I may just end up growing sunflowers, buckwheat, and a farmer's market
this year. Then I'll be ready to kick butt next year!!

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville, North Carolina