market-farming - Re: Marketing concerns

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Marketing concerns
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 06:49:23 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:16:14 -0800, market farming wrote:

> Hi Cappy, I decided to ask this question to the list because I think the
> answer would be helpful. Since its winter and because we are taking a
> business class, in which I am learning I have a lot to learn. I am aware
> there is a whole field of marketing psychology I think grocery stores and
> their suppliers try to us it ie: colors of boxes, where on shelf, music
in
> background etc. Well there must be similar tips for setting up your
> farmer's market booth or a farm stand. So when a customer walks in they
> immediately think wow nice place must have good vegetables. Thanks Beth

Eric Gibson's book "Sell What You Sow" has alot on this topic. I have not
read the book but I have attended several workshops of his (based on this
book) in the past and I remember things like using descriptive cards, have
things priced (I use a dry erase board but it may be more effective to put
price cards with each kind of veggie). Never place anything of worth on the
ground. Customers assume the higher in the air something is the more it is
worth (just below eye level is the most expensive in the stores). Which
brings us to having at least 3 levels on your stand-this is eye catching and
can be a real money maker.
Also think about traffic patterns at your farmer's market stand. Last year
we expiremented with this. For a while we had our two table set up so they
were side by side with an isle running between them. We had an EZup shelter
over top and a fake oriental rug as the "floor". People did not like this
set up as they always stayed out at the edges of our stand and seem shy
about approaching us. Than we changed so the tables were set up end to end
so they ran in a line perpendicular to our truck. we sat on one side and
customers bought things on the other side, EZup shelter over 2/3 of the
table space. Attendance picked up and lots of people comment postively on
the change and had no problem coming into our area.
Another thing Mr Gibson points out is cheap prices usually make folks wonder
what is wrong with your product so You might as well keep the price on the
high end.

Psychology of marketing is a very interesting topic and far more important
than most people think

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH