lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] Hosting Lyceum - suggestions?

  • From: John Joseph Bachir <jjb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] Hosting Lyceum - suggestions?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

Ibiblio has dozens of servers, each with their own purpose.

the lyceum demo site is running on its own dedicated powerful server. in a shared hosting environment like dreamhost, you will be sharing a server with hundreds of other users, all on the same box.

jameson was merely mapping out the problem space by naming the differences between his local dev install, and the demo site install. there are a few other variables as well, such as that the demo site has run many versions of the software over the months since lyceum's launch, some of which were not point releases.

Lyceum has not been stress tested yet. we've been focusing on features and security. At some point we would love to run some simulations under a debugger and see how we can optimize the system.

you aren't being a pain at all, this type of discussion is what makes open source software great.

John

----
aim/yim/msn/jabber.org: johnjosephbachir
713.494.2704
irc://irc.freenode.net/lyceum
http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/
http://blog.johnjosephbachir.org/