lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] Hosting Lyceum - suggestions?

  • From: Serena K <serenityinblue AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] Hosting Lyceum - suggestions?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 23:00:17 -0700 (PDT)

John,

I have my lyceum test-site hosted with Dreamhost, they DO support innodb mysql tables. For me they work just great, and I doubt they will give me any trouble even if someday I have 1000(!) blogs running. I guess it all depends on the hosting plan you have.

John Joseph Bachir <jjb AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
dave and serena-

be warry of running a big lyceum installation on a shared hosting plan.
lyceum is powerful because it makes running a lot of blogs easy to manage
and set up, it doesn't magically make 30 blogs run as if they were 1 blog
:) a 300 blog lyceum site will put the same load on a server as 300
average single blogs would. would your shared hosing site be okay with you
running 300 (or however many) blogs on it? if so then you are okay.
remember that oyu migiht be running only 15 this month, but before you
know it in 10 months you might be running 120 and things will be slowing
down and you might be getting complaints from your hosting provider.

That said, for folks who want to put up some blogs for themselves and some
friends and don't anticipate hosting more than a few dozen blogs in the
long term, lyceum on shared hosting is a great solution.

technical things to look at: you need php and mysql 4 (i can't remember
the exact versions, check the documentation). if you can find a place with
php and mysql 5, even better.

by default lyceum uses innodb mysql tables, so if possible find a host
which supports those (many don't, incliding dreamhost until a few months
ago).

dave- your own server would be a great place to host lyceum. os x server
will run it just fine. i don't know what versions of php and mysql come
with os x server these days, but you can always install your own. i can
help you with this if need be (btw i live in ny now so i'm just down the
road).

let me know if you guys have any more questions.

john

--
John
----