livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the most INefficient farming method

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Emery Mitchamore <emitch@att.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the most INefficient farming method
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:36:32 -0500

If some have a hard time imagining that, they might watch the TV series Revolution, which depicts some of the conditions in rather dramatic fashion.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.net

Sign up for our newsletter

On Mar 28, 2014, at 10:56 AM, tradingpost wrote:

This line jumped out at me:
  The System of systems works very hard to convince people they have to buy everything they need using money.

Reminds me of the Joan Baez song All My Trials:
"if living were a thing that money could buy,
you know the rich would live and the poor would die..."

Few realize that, for most of the earlier part of our history, it was almost unheard of for people to work for someone else for pay. It was demeaning. People mostly did for themselves, one way or another. There were tradesmen with skills for barter like wheelwrights or gunsmiths. With exceptions they lived in small, close communities with support of family or neighbors. I don't know about social arrangements in other cultures, then or now. Now it has to be corporate jobs, corporate credit, corporate consumer goods. Debt bondage requires money. Send out resumes. Get a job! Actual self sufficiency all illusion. Our standard of living (read possessions) is dictated not so much by our own efforts but by loyalty to a system beyond our control. What's wrong with this picture?

I hear grandkids planning for college and just try to get them to be realistic about costs. Youth is understandably reluctant to process the whole coming cliff; an awful future is hard to deal with. Meantime we can all learn more useful skills and hope for companionship & community of some kind in harsher times. A little bit of land & water might help too. It's hard to accept but these links give some context:

The World After Industrial Civilization Goes, Usher in the "new" economics of local self-sufficiency
http://www.culturechange.org/cms/content/view/785/1/

We will go kicking and screaming down the path to the new Middle Ages as fossil fuels desert us
http://sunweber.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-middle-ages.html