livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the mostINefficient farming method

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the mostINefficient farming method
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 19:43:38 -0600

Well, we don't bother with the really local mkts here either cause they're a joke. You need a critical mass of growers to bring in customers, but u need customers to bring in growers, Catcch-22 ... Mkts in our state association get blanket liability insurance, costs little. I sympathize with all those who keep selling in spite of it all & wish we could help in some way. And we always encourage people to grow their own. Just takes practice & learning like any tradespeople. It must be discouraging to see native Irish going fast food or processed. That hits close to home actually. We have hispanic in-laws dealing with the usual degenerative symptoms, going to doctors & picking up pills & McDonald's on the way home - whose families all used to be active & healthy into old age. There's a high % of Navajo etc here with higher incidence of serious health problems, unknown just a couple generations back. It's across the whole population, disability is creeping into younger age brackets. I'm a cancer survivor myself & take food more seriously than I used to. Turmeric is amazing stuff but can't grow it in this climate.