livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the most INefficient farming method

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the most INefficient farming method
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 13:22:54 -0600

Maybe we should have some disagreement so as not to bore other readers :-\

On 3/29/2014 1:19 PM, John D'hondt wrote:

Exactly my idea too.
John

Again I agree. But I think they're a fair opening to the subject for many of us. We do have over 500 on this list & not all will agree - right? And I'm on the "hard landing" side of the debate. True, the Middle Ages were as u mention. But there's more to take issue with.

Cultures don't just simply drop back to life in a previous age. People knew how to live where they were with what little they had. Problem is we don't know how to live as they did (or what will happen in a hundred other cultures worldwide that we don't pay attention to). In The Waning of the Middle Ages, Huizinga in 1919 described life in northern Europe. Main thing to me is they thought differently, had a different world view, customs, habits, communications. Less individualism, everyone part of a group of some kind, village, family etc. Anyone wandering or living alone might be thought insane or something. These post-apocalyptic fictions can't begin to deal with the utter foreignness of a lost society. And some predictions now can't begin to convey the trauma, the shock of losing so much of what we think makes us civilized. Someone once said civilization is only a thin veneer over humankind. Imagine universal PTSD on top of everything else.

Personally I believe there may be hundreds of more or less indigenous societies today that we know little of, and some may be better adapted already to harsher climates and lack of modern thinking and living.