livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the mostINefficient farming method

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the mostINefficient farming method
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:36:32 -0000

Agree completely Dan.
Just one anecdote to explain what enough money means to some.
I used to know an Indian family in Belgium. They were the only ones who were allowed to build a serious villa in one of the public parks there. Twice a week they sent their private jet to go shopping in India for the exotic food they were accustomed to. On one occasion I got halve a mango as a present and I began to understand why they went to the enormous expense. The taste was like no other mango I have ever tried since. Heaven as compared to unremarkable. Thinking about how they managed to get so rich caused me nightmares.
John

New Scientist had an article last week about Evolutionary Traps: where a species adapts to something that is killing it.

Humanity has adapted to perpetual growth and perpetually lowering prices (Consumerism as religion, action and addiction).
The stories say that a raccoon will stick its hand into a jar if it sees a shiny object, but won't let go of the shiny rock to get its hand out of the jar. The more clever the raccoon, the more places it can find jars to reach into, but they just don't let go. Humanity isn't really any smarter. We just write more stories about ourselves and turn the idiotic behavior into a tragedy or a comedy.

As a general rule, the people who have enough money to buy good food will buy the most convenient good food, and the people without enough money are forced to buy what they can get, and few are lucky (or unlucky..;) enough to have access to the resources for producing their own. The System of systems works very hard to convince people they have to buy everything they need using money.
The money flows uphill to the people who manipulate the money, and the violence flows downhill from them to keep it that way.

The rest is timing and circumstance unless one is locked out of the mechanism or leaves it, but most of the coming and going is manipulated by the Economic Hit Men who buy and sell countries in accordance with the money's wishes.

The two dominant species on the planet are cars and banks. People are just the raccoons that scavenge for food among them, trying not to get run over. If we're very lucky, there will be enough of us building nests in the machinery that it stops from the corrosion or collapses under its own weight.

Dan C.
Belgium, WI