livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Prepping

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Lori <bakequery@aol.com>
  • To: songbird97520@yahoo.com, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Prepping
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:38:33 -0500 (EST)

Thank you Aliza, for the time you spent giving a very thoughtful answer.

We thought about getting some land first so that we could put a cabin on it to build on slowly, making it be as self-sustaining as possible, but meanwhile use it as a place to unwind and relax in.  Did you see the houses recently that were built mortar and wood?  I would love to build a practice one of these on our property as a shed.  I think they are so beautiful!
Ihttp://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/19/garden/cordwood-masonry-gains-new-fans.html?_r=2&smid=fb-share&

Right now we live in a semi-rural area of Southeastern PA.  We can hear horses whinney and sometimes a moo may make it way to our ears.  There's lots of corn and hay growing in the fields on the back roads.  We have deer crossing the yards, foxes, coyotes, etc.  Lots of wildlife so although we live in a housing development we can be on a country road in less than a mile.

We have 6 chickens.  That is all our 3/4 acre allows for.  I did do square foot gardening years ago in raised beds but our daughter planted a black walnut in one of my boxes when she was nine years old.  I never had the heart to pull it up as she was so proud of that nut turning into a tree.  It's quite large now - she's going to be 30.  She's told me it won't hurt her feelings if I chop it down so I am going to.  I just don't know if I can plant nearby.  I've thought perhaps of doing square foot gardening in raised beds, with some sort of plastic sheeting to prevent any of the black walnut poison from doing any harm.  That darn tree is where our best sun is in the back yard.  We have a pretty big front yard with quite a bit of sun, too.  I'm still trying to think about how we could do some sort edible landscaping/gardening out there.

I did enjoy planning, planting, weeding and harvesting when I had the square foot garden boxes.   A friend of mine told me about lasagna gardening. I'll look into that.  Raised bed appeal to me because I can sit on the edges to tend to the garden.  Now that I'm 58 years old I can't imagine growing and tending enough produce to feed all of us though.  I guess if you have no other choice you do what you have to do.  Right now it is still optional.  Were times to get tough I'm sure we would all get a little tougher.  We'd have to.

I'm a trained chef/baker by trade.  I don't know how barterable those skills are.  I guess I could preserve food for people.  If we had a little back hoe maybe we could help people dig and build root cellars.  I do brew some pretty good water kefir.  I wonder if I'd be any good at brewing wine or beer?  That would be fun to do.

Hmmmmmm, now you got me thinking.  :-)   I think I would enjoy spinning, too.  I have my great grandmother's spinning wheel that I should learn how to use.  I do like to knit.  I love to do most anything with my hands.

Lori