livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] preppers - seriously?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] preppers - seriously?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:09:54 -0000

Hi Paul,

The people I had in mind were expecting the whole world banking system to collapse years ago. I think I myself read about this possibility first in 1991. That is more than 20 years ago. I am quite certain that it was only the information age taking off then that avoided this. Without computers banks and governments and the super rich would never have been able to do what they did. It seems that at the moment there is a fairly short supply of real money and above that a huge inverted pyramid of debt. Sooner or later that will have to come down.
But anyway these people lived without a bank account since the 90's, they also did not declare the birth of their children (because the moment you get a birth cert you become property of some bank under maritime law which is true really) it enabled them to keep their children out of school and home school them in what they thought was important. For instance how to turn a goat skin into shoes and pants. Eventually they were reported and had to comply with sending their children to school where these for the first time found out that there were loads of things they had missed out on, like coke and crips. As soon as these children could they made off for the flesh pots of the cities with unkind feelings in their harts.

These people could only have survived as a family group if a deep depression had taken place ten years or so ago and they would have been very able to survive almost anything. Everybody there knew how to light a fire with a fire drill and how to trap and fish and grow food, how to cure common hailments with medicinal plants (and acupuncture) and so on. It did not happen and the people around thought them weird and the family could not go on.

Personally I think human society is in free fall. Some pieces are breaking of on our way to the bottom. For instance the health service here in Ireland will sack a few thousand nurses and doctors this year and close a few more hospitals. (and there were not too many for many patients were laid on stretchers in the corridors for sometimes days and weeks because there was no space in the regular wards)
At the same time the news sercives blare out every day that the crisis is almost over and that we are looking forward to re-newed and vigorous economical growth if not this year then definitely next year. That may in part depend on the summer we will be getting. A few summers like the last one and I can see people starving in Ireland again.

Anyway the moral of my story once more is that timing is very important.

John

Good points. As for those who thought nothing drastic happened, they
weren't looking in the right places. They missed the sea change in
global finance & almost Depression in the U.S. & worst yet to come &
never recover. Might add your kind of prepping (sort of) is most
sensible IMHO.

tradingpost@lobo.net

------------------
Interesting subject even if I have no idea if there is any real value
in the
article below Paul.

I have been prepping (sort of) here in Ireland for 25 years. And what I
have
experienced makes me think that most people who start thinking about
doing
something even 2 years before TSHTF may be a little too late.
Then again I know quite a few families here that took prepping a lot
more
serious than I ever have, expecting that TSWHTF a lot sooner. Many of
these
families have desintegrated in recent times since nothing drastic
happened
for so long.

So timing is essential I think. No need to live like a caveman before
there
is no other way out but it is never too soon to pick up some skills and
hands on experience that could make all the difference later. For
instance,
you will not get much milk out of a cow even if you had a placid one
standing still for you in the first few weeks. To get proficient in
hand
milking you need months since you will also need to develop muscles
that you
don't know now you have. And it is the same for hundreds of other
little
skills. Some of them took us years to figure out.

John

A personal view - we've seen some of the "preppers" (staged,
choreographed) shows on TV. I have several criticisms but my first
reaction is they're prepping for all the wrong things & wasting tons
of
money that people like myself will never have. Time for wide ranging
discussion, different opinions & all.

For years I've followed various writers of all stripes warning of
economic decline or collapse. To me this recent article seemed to tie
up
some loose ends on the subject, but it's a bit technical or boring:

http://aspousa.org/2013/01/commentary-why-peak-oil-threatens-the-international-monetary-system/