livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] preppers - seriously?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost@lobo.net
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] preppers - seriously?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:50:20 -0700

I'm a prepper too in some ways, just trying to be better informed & work in the right direction - within my budget;-( I followed the Dervaes pathtofreedom.com years ago & saw nothing new since Helen & Scott Nearing were living sustainably long ago & wrote about it. Of course thousands of others in the '60s started on it & most gave up. Meanwhile people like Eliot Coleman & Barbara Damrosch, John Jeavons, Joel Salatin, J.I.& Robert Rodale & thousands of others were developing techniques we've benefitted from ever since. I'd argue the Dervaes have nothing like average peoples' climate etc. Pasadena is one big year round garden. As for their claims of incredible food production, frankly I think they played to the cameras. Their religious views are no concern to me one way or the other. People can research Jules Dervaes online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Dervaes
http://armstrongismlibrary.blogspot.com/2012/03/dervaes-urban-hippy-armstrongite.html

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

Hey

Some of those preppers are my friends

Tho yeah, some of the things they are showing are all about the extremes.  I dunno the Dervaes family personally, but I DO like their set-up.  Like the others it shows what can be done, however theirs is far more within average means of what a family can do in a normal house and yard, not even vast acreage or any kind of armament battery as the more survivalist lot have been espousing.  Still extreme in it's own way.  Not that many will determine themselves to farm a city lot to such an extent that they are not only living off it, but also getting a market income.  They certainly are the No-till family as well.  Have you seen their website?

Yours, Pego