livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] preppers - seriously?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] preppers - seriously?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:36:40 -0000

Interesting subject even if I have no idea if there is any real value in the article below Paul.

I have been prepping (sort of) here in Ireland for 25 years. And what I have experienced makes me think that most people who start thinking about doing something even 2 years before TSHTF may be a little too late.
Then again I know quite a few families here that took prepping a lot more serious than I ever have, expecting that TSWHTF a lot sooner. Many of these families have desintegrated in recent times since nothing drastic happened for so long.

So timing is essential I think. No need to live like a caveman before there is no other way out but it is never too soon to pick up some skills and hands on experience that could make all the difference later. For instance, you will not get much milk out of a cow even if you had a placid one standing still for you in the first few weeks. To get proficient in hand milking you need months since you will also need to develop muscles that you don't know now you have. And it is the same for hundreds of other little skills. Some of them took us years to figure out.

John

A personal view - we've seen some of the "preppers" (staged,
choreographed) shows on TV. I have several criticisms but my first
reaction is they're prepping for all the wrong things & wasting tons of
money that people like myself will never have. Time for wide ranging
discussion, different opinions & all.

For years I've followed various writers of all stripes warning of
economic decline or collapse. To me this recent article seemed to tie up
some loose ends on the subject, but it's a bit technical or boring:
http://aspousa.org/2013/01/commentary-why-peak-oil-threatens-the-international-monetary-system/