livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] preppers - seriously?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] preppers - seriously?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:51:57 -0500

I'm considered a prepper by some people, but I think that has more to do with their inability to conceive of a lifestyle that isn't totally dependent on Walmart, supermarkets, and all the other petroleum-input sources and products. Why, in other words, would you live off-grid, grow most of your own food, make your own clothing, etc., etc., if you weren't getting ready for the apocalypse (zombie or otherwise).

My only gripe with the Dervaes family is their attempt to prevent others from using the term "Urban Homesteading." That was just plain stupid, and says a lot to me about their intentions.

The people who are stockpiling years of MRE's, toilet paper, ammunition and so forth are as alien to me as the ones who aren't doing anything at all. I have acquaintances who say they plan to "bug out" in their remote piece of land until everything returns to "normal," and that they don't need to learn skills like gardening or raising livestock because they have enough stockpiled food to last as long as necessary. These people have a huge solar array, underground propane tanks, all the things they say they need to live the same way they live now (house full of power-hungry appliances, in other words). I'm afraid they're in for a rude shock.

Liz

----- Original Message ----- From: <tradingpost@lobo.net>