livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Four Degrees of Devastation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Four Degrees of Devastation
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 21:17:22 -0600

This is just to explain why I feel strongly on the subject, but of course few
people will agree with it all; few see the sheer volume of evidence that I
follow daily and have for years. And as Dan mentions below, the conclusion is
too disturbing for so many. After all people have more urgent demands on
their time and attention with all that's going on.

For my part I do accept the weight of the science on it, plus the
overwhelming stats & evidence for financial decline due to economic idiocy
and the industrial decline to follow peak energy and food production
resources. Which I refer to as a Perfect Storm to engulf the planetary
"civilization". My take on it is all empires fall eventually, and this time
it's a globalized empire running on fumes. And our concerns will come down to
the basic necessities, food, water, shelter. In particular, food, impacted by
all of the above. It's not well understood but the immediate threat to dollar
dominance in the oil trade is growing, and when that reaches a tipping point
soon then everything we need to buy will cost far more, esp everything that
depends on oil & other energy somewhere in the pipeline. This is due to a
deal with the Saudis that made all oil trade in dollars (which we print a
trillion at a time) and still makes our oil imports cost half what the rest
of the world pays. $10 gal standard in Europe. But what is price elastic in
response to oil price? Food comes to mind.